Baby Steps: Seeking Prenatal Nutrition from a Registered Dietitian

Now that I've officially made it through my first trimester I have experienced firsthand and know now... that it's going to be nearly impossible (at least for me personally) to always eat according to a "textbook" prenatal nutrition plan.

If you can relate, you'll agree there will be days you eat French fries or ice cream (or both for that matter). The good news is this: If your pregnancy is low risk with no specific concerns, these kinds of indulgences every once in a while are okay! 

As for being diagnosed with gestational diabetes or any other specific condition, however, healthcare professionals may (more than likely) make a few adjustments to those salty, sweet and carbohydrate-rich cravings of yours... For the most part you won't be deprived of giving into those urges from time to time, so there's no need to worry.

Through my own recent experience I'll admit there were days that all I felt like eating was a kids' chicken nugget meal with fries, so that’s exactly what I ate. That's because the alternative, which was eating nothing, was not a viable option. My goal at the time was to consume a meal I could actually keep down, that would satisfy my hunger and ultimately provide me with the calories, protein, carbohydrates and fat I needed during my initial stage of motherhood.

I'm not only relieved I was able to power through my first 13 weeks, I also feel significantly better overall. Those dreaded bouts of nausea have subsided and some (but not quite all) of my energy has returned. Now I'm eating more like I did pre-pregnancy... with the occasional splurges on ice cream, of course!

For all you expectant mothers out there searching for info about prenatal nutrition, I'd like to share something I just discovered as a fellow Mommy: During the first phase of childbearing, we don't have to feel guilty about the unusual (and oftentimes not so healthful) food choices we may make, or have made. Making uncharacteristic eating decisions while pregnant is definitely common, so try not to feel badly about it!

If you're currently seeking dietary guidance as a mom-to-be, you may want to partner up with a registered dietitian who has also experienced childbirth. They'll be able to relate better, understand what you're going through and guide you through those very trying, initial 91 days as a mom-to-be. After all, she's "been there, done that" too!

Which foods did you find yourself eating when you weren't feeling your best during your pregnancy? Please share your stories with us in the comments below, and be sure to look out for our new web site: SourceONENutrition.com (COMING SOON)!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *